Friday, February 20, 2015

My 'Be Nice to People' Rant

So tonight is the opening night (and unfortunately, the only night) for my school's production of Eve Ensler's "The Vagina Monologues". I was appointed the director for this year, and it has been an absolute blast!

The cast has been very helpful, and they all came to rehearsal with something new they had worked on for their monologues.

What was the most interesting thing to me, was how different each woman was. I had one actress who was a gender-fluid lesbian. Another woman is waiting until marriage for sex. One girl had struggled with relationships in the past, and another is currently in a very happy relationship with her adoring boyfriend.

I think its easy for us as people to forget that everyone is different, and has a whole life story. We get caught up in our own lives, and our own dramas, and it becomes a habit for us to forget about everyone else's struggles. We tend to critique everyone because that's not how we are as an individual.

I see a lot of this in the Pagan community, with people spreading hate about whether or not someone follows the Wiccan Rede, or if they use curses in their work, or if they are 'fluffy.' Its the only part about the community that really bothers me. There is so much insensitivity in the world already, so why do we need to bring that into our faith? Our faith that is already fairly discriminated against.

Everyone in life has their own self, and their own identities. They have their own codes of what is right and wrong. Just because I practice my craft a certain way, doesn't mean that everyone has to practice that same way. The same goes for everyone else.

There is no one correct way to live life.

Just some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment