Monday, January 26, 2015

My Humble Crystal Collection and Some Advice for Beginners


So here is my small but beautiful crystal collection. I began collecting shortly before I discovered paganism, and it was a huge part of me discovering my faith.

From the top, going clockwise, I have tiger's iron, green fluorite, sodalite, rutilated quartz, clear quartz, shungite, citrine, rose quartz, jade, malachite, and jasper. The stones in the center are red jasper, amethyst, and Botswana agate.

I collect mainly tumbled stones because they are usually more affordable than raw stones, and I like to carry them in my pocket, which is harder when the crystal has jagged edges. My clear quartz and fluorite are raw, and my little amethyst bit is raw.

I see a lot of people suggest to beginners that they get clear quartz or amethyst to start their collection, and while I agree that these are great stones, I wouldn't necessarily say that any stone is great for a beginner, because I think it varies from person to person.

My advice to people interested in starting their collection, is to go into the store with no preconceived idea of what you want. Just look at the stones and pick them up and feel which ones you like best. See how different stones affect you. For me, I had no attachment towards rose quartz for months, and then this past week I picked up a piece and immediately knew I had to get it.

My newest addition

After you choose one, go home and research it. Usually, you will understand why you picked it up. For example, the very first stones I bought were red jasper and sodalite. When I got home to find out more about them, I found out that red jasper is great for performing artists and sodalite is good for communication and creativity. As a theater major in college, I feel that both of these stones are good for me, and the red jasper is still one of my favorite go to stones.

I hope this helps any new people looking to begin their crystal collection! If you have a collection, whats in yours? Do you have any favorites?

No comments:

Post a Comment